Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve Dinner, in "a real house!"


We just had our first successful Christmas Eve dinner in our new home.
Last year the tradition started with Rory and I hosting Christmas Eve dinner, and my immediate family joined us. That was our first Christmas time meal in our own town! But with such a small rental home then, it was quite cramped, even with just the 5 of us.
This year in our new home, with a real dining table and beautiful Denby dishes, we could all sit at together and enjoy a wonderful grown up meal. We are both so thankful for all we have been blessed with this year, and thankful to those who made it possible.
Well I got a little excited about the big dinner and ordered a 5 rib bone-Prime Rib. It was an 11lb monster about 16" in length. I was worried it would be WAY too much meat, but we all had plenty at dinner (except my dad, who I made a vegetarian stuffed portobello) My bro took a nice chunk home with 2 ribs, Rory and I will have Christmas dinner tomorrow with the remaining and even Baxter took a nice meaty bone outside and enjoyed his dinner! Lucky boy.




We also had fresh steamed asparagus, sauteed carrots, mashed Yukon gold potatoes, with gravy, and a delicious salad brought by my mom.


For dessert I made an English Raspberry Trifle. It was a layered delight of lady fingers soaked in Meyers rum and raspberry jam, vanilla custard and fresh berries, and I whipped triple sec into the whipped cream, and it was to-die-for!
I was so excited about all the food I spent all day cooking I forgot to take pictures of most of it :(
But it was all beautiful, especially the dessert.
We are so full from dinner, and tomorrow there's more with the Christmas morning cinnamon rolls. After all this wonderful food for the holiday's I am looking forward to the New Year and a bit less consumption!
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good Night!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails